Monday, February 20, 2006

I love Dr. Trumble.

I do. I love him. He is a wonderful man. But I am getting ahead of myself.

First of all, The Baby is probably going to be fine. I don't think I've ever felt a sense of relief quite like this. Here's what went down: There is a cyst, etc, etc, but the dr. wants to take the wait and see approach. The Baby will be having another MRI in three months (ugh) to see if the cyst changes. Then he will decide whether or not to do surgery. The dr. made the surgery sound fairly simple for him to do and seems very confident that the Baby is going to be fine. One of our biggest concerns was if we wait to remove the cyst, will it cause brain damage? We were told that no, not in this short amount of time. If there was going to be brain damage, that would only occur if the cyst was left unchecked to grow for years. That is a huge relief.

We were still told that if our son displays odd behaviors, doesn't eat, cries unconsolably for a full day, etc, then we need to get an MRI done ASAP and probably remove the cyst/ tumor right away. So, my husband and I don't exactly feel like we're out of the woods or anything, and we definitely feel the pressure to remain on our toes and question everything. But, that's cool. Whatever. We can handle it.

So, we were told that basically, if the dr. feels it needs to come out, he'll take it out, and seemed to feel confident that that would go well and our little guy is going to be fine. Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, neither of us are really going to relax until that tumor is out of there and our son is fully recovered, or they tell us, "hey, it's not growing, no need to worry anymore."

On to Dr. Trumble. He was exactly what my husband and I needed. He had a great bedside manner and was very empathetic, (not like our current sucky pediatrician) and was really good at explaining everything. He also was good at making us feel comfortable and calm. It was a great experience. You may be thinking, duh, he should be that way, but my husband and I have been through the ringer with crap doctors and nurses in the past year or so, so this was a huge relief.

I had made it through the entire appt. without getting choked up or crying, but then... at the end, my husband thanked Dr. Trumble for fitting us into his schedule, and he was just so cool about it, he was like, "No problem, I know how it can be so scary to have to go see a brain surgeon." Then he smiled and kind of waved. I looked away and then I just lost it. Because it is so scary, especially when it's your child and he's still just a little baby.

Before he was born, I was so hopeful that he would be healthy and strong, and when he came out, everyone in the room was shocked by how beautiful and strong he was. He was pretty much born pink, screaming and crying. I thought, Oh my god, he's really and truly healthy... in the weeks to come, of course, I imagined his first steps, first day of kindergarten, playing with his friends, driving, falling in love, etc, etc,.... and then when someone tells you something is wrong with your baby's brain... I honestly don't even know what to type.

Anyway, I think we're kinda sorta in the clear... at least for now. Thank you to you guys that sent emails... it really meant a lot. I'm lucky to have people in my life like you guys.

Hopefully this means that I can go back to writing posts about things like buying underwear from Old Navy.

Can I just add here that last night, to get our mind off things, my husband and I watched "Kinsey"... Did anyone else see it? I don't know how a movie all about sex can end up being boring, but somehow they managed to do it. What a disappointment.

2 Comments:

At 8:27 PM , Blogger Keith said...

Susie's cleaning the kitchen and the baby is asleep and I, well I'm just feeling lucky to have them both to call family. Oh, and I love Dr. Trumble too.

 
At 10:20 PM , Blogger sandie said...

Sounds like GREAT news!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home