Friday, October 27, 2006

A How-To on coping with a pediatrician visit

Jack apparently woke up at 4:30am this morning and began playing in his crib... he may have dozed on and off, but mostly played and fussed until 6:30. I, as well as Keith, dozed here and there between 4:30 and 6:30.

Waking up at 4:30am does not make for a happy boy getting a flu shot.

We went to our brand new ped. office at 8:45 this morning... close to home, pretty nice people, Jack was a total angel in the waiting room. Then we were called back and it was time to strip down. That's when the screaming began. And the screaming lasted until we left at 10:00am.

During this scream filled hour, I was informed of the following things:

Jack is low on iron. Now I need to take him to a Quest lab so they can draw blood from his arm (yeah, that's going to go well) to "officially" test for low iron. Which he probably will have. I have low iron every time they test my blood and we hardly ever eat any red meat in our house... so there you go. That's our planned activity for next Tuesday.

A one year old getting a flu shot actually gets two flu shots, a month apart. So, we get to repeat this whole process in a month. Great.

Last but definitely not least...

Jack's head is growing fast again. Keith and I have been secretly worried about this for a few weeks now... maybe parental intuition? The new ped. made light of it, basically saying that she doesn't think we need to worry... but as everyone knows, Keith and I do not make light of anything regarding Jack's head size.

Keith is emailing our neurosurgeon as I type this to see if we need to move up his next MRI appt. (which is currently scheduled for Feb 1, 2007). This might be too far away. My guess is we probably will end up moving it up... so that should be fun.

So, anyway, how do you cope with a ped. office visit like this? Cry. I cried through the visit, on the way home, and on the phone telling Keith what happened. And I feel a little tiny bit better. So, feel free to go ahead and cry anytime you're having a hard time at the doctor's office. It worked for me.

Now the plan is to push through and try to have a pleasant weekend.

1 Comments:

At 4:41 PM , Blogger sandie said...

You guys have been so tough so far. Keep us posted!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home