Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Can I get a Witness?!

So, apparently, Jehovah's Witnesses are still around. Where in the world have they been hiding? I personally hadn't seen any in at least ten years (at least in the dressed up, walking around your neighborhood sense), but this morning, as Jack and I arrived home from Target, there in our little cul de sac, walked a little old couple, and two younger women, all dressed up carrying briefcases, with that "Jehovah" vibe. Luckily, Jack had fallen asleep in the car and was still sleeping so I wasn't planning to get out of my car any time soon... we were just going to sit in the car until he woke up. I was worried that they might actually come right up to my car, but they didn't.

I watched them as they walked back to their car, I guess their canvassing was over already, got in and drove away.

Eventually Jack woke up and we got out of the car. I expected to see a leaflet talking about the good book or something hanging on my door knob, but there wasn't one. In fact there wasn't one on anybody's door. So...

Either it's a case of mistaken identity and they weren't J.W.'s...

Or... J.W.'s don't leave presents for people on their doors anymore. Is this the case? Does anyone know? Like I said, it's been a long time since I've seen a J.W.

Or... J.W.'s have gotten lazy.

I think it's that they've gotten lazy. Come on, J.W.'s have to know that NO ONE wants to talk to them or get crap put on their door. So, maybe having that knowledge, they go out to spread the word, and just maybe "forget" to leave their parting gifts. Maybe they even "forget" to knock on a few doors. Maybe they just drive to a neighborhood, park the car, take a walk, talk about what it's like to be a J.W., get back in the car, go back to their church and just say, "Sorry, Boss, no takers."

I would definitely understand if that's the case. I would be extremely unmotivated to provide a service to people if they clearly didn't want it, even if providing that service was part of my religious belief. I still wouldn't want to hassle people about it.

So, what does everyone else think? Are J.W.'s lazy? I know, maybe they're really into the environment now and are just trying to save trees by not handing out paper to everyone. So, OK, environmentalists? Lazy? What's up?

And hey, if anyone is a J.W. and reads this... Don't EVER EVER EVER!!!!!!! try to talk to me about your religion. Grrr.

2 Comments:

At 5:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah we haven't gotten lazy; just different means and ways in different places of seeking sincerely interested ones.

Just ask around, especially of BIG city folks ;^) But... well... to be honest I'll rephrase that and say some have slacked in their approach: They are known to sit on public benches for hours on end (and sometimes fall asleep!)

You may get a "present" next month though - Peace Out!

 
At 8:07 PM , Blogger suebaby said...

Whoa... a real JW! Awesome. I must say, I appreciate the kindness of your comment. BUT! I! DON'T! WANT! ANY! PRESENTS!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home