Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Sleepy little boy

Jack.

OK, we are making progress on the switch from formula to milk... I think. He's drinking the bottles, going to the bathroom fine, etc. However...

The past couple nights, Jack's been waking up around 8:30 or 9:00 SCREAMING. I mean, the unsettling kind of screaming where thoughts of "OK, does he need to go to the hospital?" race through your head. Why is he doing this?

Good question. The jury is deliberating. One possibility... the milk factor. This is a big dietary change. He is maybe getting stomach aches/ pains from the milk and they are consistently bothering him at the same time every night.

Or, the good old standby... teething...

Another possibility... new work schedule. Used to be that Keith and I were there with Jack, every night, bathing him, playing with him, walking him, putting him to bed, together. Now, four out of seven nights a week, it's one of us, going solo with Jack. (Homework Club duty calls) In the moment he seems, ok... he's going to bed, all that stuff. But then, he's waking up very upset.

I do know that Sep. Anxiety tends to hit it's peak around now. My theory is he's waking up in his crib, alone, in the dark room and remembering how one of his parents were missing when he went to bed. He gets upset. Like, really really upset.

It took about an hour to calm him down last night. I walked in from HW Club at 8:40, to find that he'd just woken up. Keith was getting him to calm down and I'm sure it didn't help to have me walk in the house. It probably just undid everything Keith did. But he calmed down, got tired again, and... Eventually, we put him in his crib and he just went to sleep.

This meant that we didn't eat dinner until 10:00. This is a problem when it's the couple that had been going to bed at 9:30.

THEN! At 6:15am, we were awakened by more SCREAMING. This is a switch. Usually, Jack wakes up around 6:30 and makes some noise. Keith puts some toys in the crib and we get ready. Then at 7:00, I get him out of the crib and we start the day. There's usually not even any crying during this whole thing.

So... I'm thinking that Jack is bucking the new schedule, which sucks. It's hard enough to get used to it ourselves. It's time away from Jack and each other, and let's just say that these kids are keeping us very busy.

And, looking back, Jack pulled some stuff like this when we first moved into the place... and after a few days it went away.

So tired. And so is he. This is how I knew it was time to put him down for his nap. He was sitting on one of those really big board books, but trying to pick it up while he was sitting on it. After about five seconds of trying to pick it up, he started screaming in frustration. I feel bad for him.

3 Comments:

At 11:46 AM , Blogger Keith said...

I had 5 minutes and figured I'd check in with my wife and boy...wish I was there...no, I don't...yes, I do...no, I don't...well, I miss you guys like the freakin dickens. Jack...crying is BAD, sleeping is GOOD!!!

 
At 12:07 PM , Blogger sandie said...

Ch-ch-ch-ch chaaaanges!

It's probably a little bit of everything. We just took away the bedtime bottle and while it doesn't really make a difference in the moment, Dane's sleeping has been shittttay...

I just looked at your new pics, Jack is such a big boy now! What a handsome little guy!

 
At 2:02 PM , Blogger suebaby said...

Keith E.~ we miss you too... I, for one, wish you were here.

LJ~ I dread the day we get rid of the bedtime bottle... Glad you liked the pics...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home