Wednesday, May 10, 2006

A little bit panicky

It is a dark, quiet morning here. It's cloudy outside and the baby is taking his nap. He actually went to sleep a little early. He made some progress re: crawling this morning... I can't wait for him to show his daddy today. He's not actually crawling yet, but he's close.

Do you ever get an anxious feeling that you have a lot to do, and then you try to think about it and you can't even remember all the things that you are supposed to do? It's hard with a baby, because every time I remember I'm supposed to call someone, it seems to be when he's napping. And I can't call people then because it will wake him up. I think about all the friends that I have that I haven't talked to in forever and how I'd like to call them, but know that if I can't even seem to find time to call family (sorry, Bobo), how am I going to find time to call friends? Ugh...

I think I am in some understated panic due to the upcoming hurricane season (I already started stocking up on water and formula) and bird flu. Natural disasters take on a whole new spin when you have a little one. During the great Hurricane Season '04, when central FL got hit with four hurricanes in a month, I remember going shopping for supplies and being nervous, but it's not at all what I already feel now that there's a baby around.

Change of subject...

What's going on with SNL lately? Tom Hanks, of course, was a great host, but the writing seems to have taken a dive. Although that little 1990 video about "Please don't smash my testicles" was pretty good.

2 Comments:

At 10:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa! Anxiety City. I feel panicked after reading that blog entry. Have you had your caffeine yet today? A bunch of middle school kids came by to visit today and saw your picture on my desk and said how beautiful you are! I said, "no dah!" Can't wait to get home and see that baby 1/2 crawl.

 
At 11:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm totally freaked about both hurricane season and bird flu pandemic. I feel like since the 90's ended we're suddenly in some tortured book from the Old Testament. But then I realize that I'm also just more aware of what's going on in the world than I was in high school and even college. I will just be driving along in a great mood and the next minute be worrying about global warming and wondering if it was fair to have children and whether or not we should move since Florida could be underwater if the glaciers keep melting...yeah, it seems like everyday there is something new to worry about. And when you have kids you lose the right to be a carefree spirit...at least if you are a good parent, right? I don't know about others, but my kids bring me ultimate joy and absolute fear simultaneously. Used to be I could just remember that part of Farenheit 911 where Moore is talking about the fear tactics of the media and government (killer bees are coming!) to find reason. I'd like to believe this bird flu thing is being blown out of proportion to distract us from real issues with this administration, but the tsunami and Katrina made me believe anything can happen. So, I haven't started taking pills for this yet; just letting American Idol and The Office and Kate & Allie reruns numb my overanxious psyche. Or to uplift my spirit I'll watch John Edwards Cross Country. I should really just kill my TV and erase NPR from my dial. Only then can I live in ignorant bliss.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home