Friday, April 14, 2006

Victorious!

The baby napped in the crib again. This time it wasn't some fluke success thing, though, like on Wednesday. We battled it out for an hour. I was prepared for battle, too. I knew it would not be easy, so I made sure to eat a few cinnamon Lifes, and drink some iced tea... so I would have fuel for battle. I also planned ahead and the two of us played on the floor for the hour leading up to the nap, so he would be good and tired.

Then it happened. 9:00am. Naptime. I slowly put the toys away, closed the blinds, sang a little nappy time song, and put the little guy in the crib. I told him I loved him and to have a good nap and then I left.

This was fine for a few minutes. For about 10 minutes, he played, not getting it yet. Then he started to get mad. He fussed. Then he cried. Then he screamed. I didn't leave him alone the whole time, I went in and picked him up, kissed and hugged him, but put him back in the crib. He continued the battle by screaming until he almost fell asleep in my arms at 10:00. I kept telling myself... I can do it, I can outlast him. I wanted to just put him in the stroller and take him on a walk... he always falls asleep that way. But he needs to learn to nap in his own bed. I kept talking to myself and somehow got through it. It reminded me of when I was a little kid and I used to talk to myself. I would tell myself things like "It doesn't hurt, it doesn't hurt" when I'd fall off my bike. And it would almost always work. And it worked today... although I did wonder if anyone had ever actually lost hearing after holding a screaming baby for twenty minutes.

I laid him down right before he actually fell asleep and before closing his eyes, he looked at me as if to say... "You may have won the battle... but not the war..."

I wonder what this afternoon will bring.

An hour of crying and what did it result in? A thirty minute nap. The sounds of him waking up thirty minutes later were like a cruel joke. But, he napped in the crib again... and even though it was short, he still did it and that means I RULE!!!!!!!!

6 Comments:

At 3:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do rule!! Congrats on your victory, be it ever so small. Perhaps he's saving his energy for all the sleeping he'll do tonight. I'm trying to be optimistic for you.

 
At 6:37 PM , Blogger sandie said...

Very good!

Can you believe you went through all that and it was only 10:30?

 
At 5:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes you do rule. Thanks for sending me the l-ink to your b-log :)

I sure had a lot of reading to do but it was fun catching up. Say hi to J.I. & Keith for me.

 
At 5:44 PM , Blogger suebaby said...

Bobo!!! Good to hear from you... got your message... will try to call soon. How was your Zombie Day?

 
At 9:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soooozeeeee! Every day is Zombie Day! Rrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaahhhhhhhh! Braaaaaaaaaains!

 
At 10:13 AM , Blogger suebaby said...

Hey Ernestine, Why would a zombie say, "Brains"? Just wondering.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home