Thursday, March 23, 2006

I hate my gynecologist.

Now, I'm not going into too much detail here, but I hate my gynecologist. He was referred to me by my supervisor in the early days of my pregnancy. I was panicked and not picky about who I saw. Enter the gyno.

He's about fifty, Republican, hurried, sarcastic, and seems to think the same bedside manner techniques work for everyone. He also seems to act like he knows me so well. A strange notion, really, because, let's get real, any woman, especially anyone who's had a baby knows how well your gyno REALLY knows you. I mean, he's the guy that was there every step of the way through the pregnancy, delivered our son, stitched (sorry, I know that's a little graphic) me up, and helped me through an incredibly painful post delivery infection and recovery (if by helped, I mean examined me and gave me a prescription for antibiotics). So, I guess he does know me. But, he tends to assume and guess my thoughts and reactions regarding childbirth, birth control and pain tolerance. All of which he's been wrong about.

As I said, I started going to him because I knew someone who went to him. I didn't really care what he was like at that time, I just needed an OB. I continued to stay with him because while my pregancy was completely normal and healthy, we were incredibly busy (getting married, moving, planning for the baby, etc) and I just couldn't deal with trying to find a different doc on top of all of that. Plus his no nonsense attitude told me that he was going to be calm and firm in the delivery room, which was something I wanted. I wanted someone who was going to say, "All right, push, girl, and do it well!".... not someone who was going to pat my head and comfort me. And I was right... he was like that and that was good. Now I continue to stay with him because of ongoing health issues and plan to move on once everything is resolved once and for all.

But in the meantime, he sucks! At my six week postpartum check up, I was still "recovering" and in a considerable amount of pain. To put a frame of reference on it, I still couldn't walk very far or for long and it still hurt to sit down. He did the exam, as gently as I think he could, and I laid there and cried. He asked me several times how I was doing, as he knew that I was hurting... good for him, all very appropriate. Then when the exam was over the nurse asked if I would like some tylenol. He stood, writing in my chart, with his back to me and proceeded to answer for me, "No, she's ok". What the F---? I looked at the nurse, still crying, and nodded yes. She sort of smiled and got me tylenol. He turned around and finally looked at my face and said, "Oh."

That's just one example, and really, the only one I think I'm comfortable sharing, because as we all know, those exams get pretty personal pretty fast, but hopefully you get the idea. Is he a bad doctor? No. I've never felt unsafe or freaked out or that he wasn't medically making sure I was ok. But, he's an A-Hole otherwise and I'm over it. Anyone in Orlando know a good Gyn.?

6 Comments:

At 7:46 PM , Blogger sandie said...

Yes! Yes!

Dr. F. Imogene White.

She rocks, seriously. She's a GREAT doctor and her office staff is friendly and cool, as well.

Look her up!

 
At 8:56 PM , Blogger Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Thanks for the post about your brother!!! I laughed so hard. I could picture him doing that.

Oh and as for doctors -- I would not settle for a doctor I didn't like. But I've been spoiled like crazy at Mayo where if the docs aren't good, they don't stay. I'd keep trying til' you were happy.

 
At 8:30 AM , Blogger suebaby said...

LilJeans... I looked into Dr. White, but she doesn't take my insurance... thanks anyway...

 
At 12:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I lived there I went to Dr. Udita Jahagirdar. She was awesome. I appreciate her even more after my doctor here in Lynchburg hell. It's a little far out for you because she is in Lake Mary but I thought I'd throw out the idea.
Jess

 
At 3:24 PM , Blogger suebaby said...

Thanks, Jess. I 'll check her out.

 
At 2:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

aloha www.skjr.blogspot.com owner found your site via Google but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have found site which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your site http://mass-backlinks.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my website. Hope this helps :) They offer best services to increase website traffic at this website http://mass-backlinks.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home