Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Employment wanted

After some long talks about a week or two ago, Keith and I both made the decision that the time has come for us to both be open about finding new jobs. This is a hard realization, but I think it's time, for several reasons:
  • We need to be making more money. Part time doesn't pay well, obviously and we live thrifty, but not thrifty enough. Plus, at any time, one or both of us might need a new car, and it would be smart to get ourselves financially ready for that.
  • The fact that we both work for a teeny tiny non profit agency, which after about four years (for Keith) and five for me, we really aren't making any more money than when we first started. The depressing thing is, we're actually making less. This is because the "raises" and "bonuses" we get do not come close to matching or exceeding the rising cost of living in Florida.
  • Interoffice politics/ power struggles with our supervisors. Over time, I am liking working for them less and less.
  • Work stress... the normal annoying stresses that come with both of our jobs. Keith's especially, can be extremely emotionally taxing.

So, the searching has begun. I updated my resume and applied for one job... a long shot, but you never know. Keith is working on his, too.

New jobs would mean big changes for us... the biggest would be that Jack would be going to a daycare for at least some of the week. This is a change that ultimately could serve him well since he's not around other kids much, but would still likely be very traumatic in the beginning.

Also, these jobs would be hard to leave for sentimental reasons. Keith and I met through working here together, and many people that we worked with then, we still work with now. Despite their faults, our supervisors have always been extremely flexible and understanding regarding Jack, which is something I don't know we'll find elsewhere. These are people who supported me through a divorce, a remarriage, a pregnancy, and being a new mom... hmmm... what can I say... it's a tough call... but I still think it's time.

1 Comments:

At 2:26 PM , Blogger crazystegmamaof4 said...

I'll be thinking of ya' as you look for new jobs :( I know that process is never fun and always a bit stressful. I got anxious just reading about you updating your resume. I dread the day I have to join the work force again :( But, I know what you mean about the financial burden...and just wait...as Jack gets older you'll have all sorts of fun things to pay for :) Best of luck finding a new job...and leaving your old one...that's gotta be hard too. Miss ya'! Hugs, Cool Mama Stegs :)
P.S. I laughed at your post on what Jack likes...he sure likes a heck of a lot more stuff that Dylan lately...Dylan is Mr. Grumpy pants :(

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home